Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Motor Mounts

Fortunately the Coyote engine came with a new set of mounts attached to the block. They are actually very close to where the mounts attached to the frame on the Pantera. My car didn't have any mounts on the frame but you could easily tell where they were suppose to be. Here's a shot showing the mounts on the engine and the area where I'm sure the frame mount use to be.


I started the project by making the mounting plate. I used 3/8" x 2" wide flat steel and drilled a large hole in the middle of each piece of metal. I then cut out the sides to form a slot and welded the two pieces to make a 3 3/4" x 4" flat plate with a slot for the motor mount bolt to stick through. Here's a shot of the flat plate.


The larger of the small holes on the right side is for a rivet that protrudes from the flat part of the mount on the engine. The smaller of the two holes is a mistake,... Oh I mean a weight savings device.

I then attached the plate to the engine. I then used some 1" x 2" rectangle stock for the uprights of the mount on the frame. I used a piece of 1/4" plate for the bottom of the mount. The following picture shows the how I tacked together the uprights.


I marked the three holes through the frame to transpose them on the 1/4" base plate. When I drilled the holes out I found one of them came up exactly under the upright shown in the picture above. I had to cut out a notch in the upright so that I could get to the nut that will hold the mount in place. The pictures below show the mount completed.




Here's the mount holding the engine in place. Big step forward now that the engine and transaxle are now firmly in place.


No comments:

Post a Comment