Friday, April 26, 2013

We Got It!!!!

So we head north to check out the rolling chassis Pantera I found on Craigslist. Its a 400 mille drive. I pull my son, Jay out of school and we head off on an adventure.

On the way up I call around and find a bank and a rental place for a trailer. We are scheduled to meet Steve, the owner, at 3:30 when he gets off work.

When we meet up with Steve we head out to his garage and he rolls her out. The first thing I notice is surface rust coming through the primer. Steve tells me she was primed a while ago. Its not a big deal but I was thinking the body was pretty much done.






Jay and I proceed to go over the car with a fine tooth comb. I find a couple more surprised - a newly skinned door that doesn't quite fit making the door difficult to open plus a modification to the door window guides that will require some attention. Again not deal breakers but something to consider.

After a while we start talking price. I tell Steve his price is too big for me a gamble and give him a range I'm comfortable making the gamble at. Steve tosses out a number - the exact number I wanted as my maximum and we shake on it. He tells me that's the exact number that was his minimum. I like that! We both get what we want - a win-win.

Jay and I head off to get the money and a trailer. An hour and a half later we are back with an envelope full of cash and a UHaul in tow. We get to work loading her up.




The entire family comes out to take pictures. Steve, his wife and teenage daughter all look at Jay and I with bitter sweet emotions. Steve's daughter says, "you're taking my race car away". Obviously, there were a lot of plans made around this particular Pantera. Its never easy to give up on a dream even when circumstances are just right for that dream to change.

Steve later pulls me aside and confides that he is really glad someone like me wanted the car. He just felt she was going to a good home. He and I share similar thoughts on balancing restoration and our desire to make it our own no matter what everyone else thinks
.
Steve then pulls out boxes of parts - icing on the cake. Not enough to finish off the car but a start. We get it all loaded up, say our goodbyes and hit the road. Jay an I stop at a restaurant and sit near a window to watch the newest member to the Hovis stable of cars. We keep saying over and over, "I can't believe we have a Pantera."


After a quick dinner we hit the road home. Lots of people give us the thumbs up as we make the 7 hour trek back to Carlsbad, CA. We finally get home at last 2am. Too tired to think we can't help but to take one more walk around the car to see her from all angles.

Pantera No. 3854 is now part of the Hovis family of cars. Now the fun begins.





No comments:

Post a Comment