Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Backup Light Switch

I ordered a OEM back up light switch from one of the Pantera places and received it just fine. I installed it only to find that the selector box wasn't hitting the switch lever when in reverse. I pulled the cover off the selector box only to find that whatever mechanism should be there to make the b/u switch work wasn't there at all.

After a bunch of looking at it to see if I could make something that would trigger the switch when in reverse I decided that it was too difficult to make this work. I will find a plug with the same thread size as the hole for the OEM switch and plug it up.

I decided to just purchase a simple, universal b/u light and install it in the housing for the shifter. Here's a picture of the box for the b/u light switch showing the P/N. I ordered the switch though Amazon for just around $10.



After making sure this would work, I pulled the box, located the exact location where the switch would best fit and drilled a hole to fit my switch. After tightening it all down I soldered up a connector on the wires for ease of removal should something goes wrong. Here's a shot of the wiring installed in the car.


As you can see I had to cut a notch in the center framework to make the switch fit into the console. The following pictures show the finished product. I tested it with the power on and the b'u lights work just fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment