Thursday, November 14, 2013

Extending The Pedals Further

Once the floor pans were lowered I sat the seat in place and found I didn't like the position of the pedals. Even though I had extended the pedals out 1" I felt that it was still too cramp for my long legs. I decided to check out how to add the other 1" shim I had made.

When I held all the pieces in place I saw that the accelerator pedal was going to interfere with the firewall. After a little investigation I saw that I could trim away a little bit of the firewall to make room for full travel. With a plan in mind I got busy at pulling it all together.

I took the two shims and welded them together. I then used a bit of body filler to smooth out the two visible sides of the shim so that it will look great after it is installed. Here's what it looks like after getting it into place.


I did end up having to rebend another tube for the front chamber of the master cylinder. Not a big deal. You can see the larger shim in the left side of the picture. If you want to see what it looked like before I added the second shim take a look at the post regarding the installation of the master cylinder and brake booster.


Here's a shot of what the pedals look like. You can see the notch that I had to cut out for the accelerator pedal. The clutch pedal is still really high since it isn't attached to anything as of yet. I sat on the floor and felt that I had a great amount of leg room. I can't wait to put the seat in place and see just how much leg room is there. I'm sure it won't be Towncar kinds of legroom but every little bit will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment