Thursday, September 19, 2013

Rear Brake Lines

Finally got most of the parts needed to start plumbing in the brakes. All the lines were missing and I wasn't sure how to run the lines to the rear. I was particularly worried about how to place the lines near where the transaxle will be sitting. Then it was the Internet to the rescue.

Thanks to the owner of Pantera 2077. He has a blog highlighting his restoration on blogspot.com. This page shows the rear brake line routing in detail. http://pantera2077.blogspot.com/p/chassis.html. I ran my line as close to this as possible. 

I did have to drill a hole in a cross member near where the engine will sit. Looks to me like the cross member on my Pantera was replaced. No big deal. Drilled out a set of clearance holes to feed the line through and it was ready to go. 

I decided to run 3/16 stainless for the entire car. I also elected to use AN fittings (-3) throughout. I purchased a Rigid flaring tool (37 degree) to custom make my lines. The tool was more than I wanted to pay but I'm sure glad I got it - it works great. I think I paid about $130 for it. 

What I was able to get done today was to run a single line from up under the front boot back to the rear of the car. I took a bit of bending here and there but I was able to get a single line for this long run. Here's some shots of what it looks like now. 


This is a shot looking up from under the front boot. The three holes just beyond the end of the tubing is where the brake lines will be coming down from the Master Cylinder. I will be attaching another line holder up towards the top of the line after I figure out how I'm going to run the line up from here to the MC.






Here we are looking from the front of the car to the rear. I will need to get a couple more grommets to protect the line in the middle pass through hole. The line is nice and secure and looks pretty much like the original.













Now we are looking from the rear of the car. you can see the cross member in the middle of the shot where I had to drill some pass through holes. The same will need to be done for the rest of the pieces that will come back to the transaxle and for the e-brake cable. 












Here we are looking at the passenger rear side of the car. The line ends at a T. From here I will hard line up to the small hole at the top of the picture where a flex line will go to the caliper itself. 













Next I made the tubes from the T to the hole in the fenders to where the flex line will go to the calipers. Here's what they look like. Pretty close to the originals from the pictures I have seen.




No comments:

Post a Comment